Forest State Park
Just up Highway 410 from Enumclaw
Enjoy the beauty and diversity of 600 acres of old growth
Douglas firs, with mature Western Hemlock, Sitka Spruce and Western
Redcedar trees. Hike through five distinct ecosystems within a radius
of just one mile. Short interpretive loops make this ideal for small
Eighteen miles southeast of Enumclaw on State Highway 410, King County.
618.90 acres with 19,800 feet of freshwater frontage on the White River.
The park was acquired in four parcels; the first in 1941 and the last
in 1971, for a total cost of $224,464.
The park was dedicated in 1949, by Governor Langley, as a state park.
In 1958, Ms. Catherine Montgomery, a pioneer educator, willed $89,000
to the Washington State Federation of Women's Clubs. This money was
used to build the Catherine Montgomery Interpretive Center, constructed
in 1964. The Federation of Women's Clubs also donated funds for the
addition of living quarters to the interpretive center; the publication
of the Fred Cleator Interpretive Trails guide book; the Federation Forest
brochure; the installation of two display panels in the outdoor display
shelter, as well as additional improvements to the outdoor display shelter;
and audio visual equipment within the interpretive center. A meeting
room was added to the Visitor Center during the 197779 biennium,
with a $17,000 donation from the Washington State Federation of Women's
Clubs. Video equipment worth $6,000 was given to the park in 1990,
a $1,000 drinking fountain was donated and installed in 1991.
Fifty-one picnic sites, parking for 70 vehicles, 1 interpretive center,
comfort station, apartment, park aide quarters, manager's residence,
storage buildings, shop,vault toilets, 2 kitchen shelters, 3 interpretive
display shelters, 3 interpretive trails, 1.75 miles total, 9.5 miles
of hiking trail and 5.7 miles of road.
Of Special Interest:
There are remnants of the 1850s wagon road, old Highway 5 of the early
1900s, and the newer Highway 410. The cabin remains from the old homestead
claimed for timber in the 1800s, and the cabin remains from forest fire
wardens of the 1930s - 1960s. There are Springboard notches from early
logging, bridge turnbuckles, and telegraph insulators from the days
of the CCC. History awaits the visitor at this Old Growth forest.
Catherine Montgomery Interpretive Center, picnicking, hiking, fishing,
and cross country skiing. Guided walks are available by making appointments
with the Park Ranger.
Day use only. No camping.
to State parks
Back to Parks main page | Park
Courtesy of Washington
State Park and Recreation Commission